A Beautiful Afternoon


Sometimes, even the tiniest of things can make you happy. Things like waking up early morning and watching the sun rise, going on a walk all by yourself or with a friend you haven't met in a while, watching a baby cackle with joy, being out in the first rain after a long summer or smelling something which instantly brings back some of your most treasured memories. It could be thousands of things, all different and diverse and sometimes quite magically, the same.

They fill you up with joy, makes your heart pump a little more blood, and your lungs a little more oxygen. You feel elated and refreshed and confident. It makes you feel like you've always been so happy because in that instant you forget all the problems, tensions and difficulties you might have in your life and you just enjoy and live in the moment.

View from inside the mosque.
Something like this happened with me today and I was so happy that I didn't want it to go away before I captured it in something. So I decided to write about it. Yes, it's a bit surprising but I am actually writing this post about absolutely nothing. Yes, this post is just about one afternoon unusual afternoon of my life and if you feel already bored and stumbled here by mistake, I don't think it'll help you much. 

So, this afternoon I hurried out of the bathroom and on to the road(in clothes, yes). So I went out in a hurry because like most of the time I was late for the Friday prayer. It had rained earlier and there was cool breeze about, the roads and walls looked washed and new, children were playing in the street, there were smiley faces all around and I couldn't stop beaming for all of this.

I reached the mosque, the one which is situated in a large complex with open land surrounding it and found a place outside in the park as I was late, but the breeze was heavenly and it was a good thing unlike other summer days as I was enjoying it more and more. Halfway through the namaz, raindrops started again, slowly, making tip-tap sounds, enticing the heart, like they were blessings showered from up above.

That's the mosque, I suppose some repair work was going on

But it gradually increased and almost all of those who were praying outside in the park went to their homes after the namaz, but I stayed as did most of those inside the mosque. I came around one of my elder cousins then and we stood under a makeshift cloth shade and chatted while the rain kept filtering and falling on us. After a while he too took off and I went inside to pray and wait for the rain to stop.

The thing that doubled my joy was to see people sitting inside, relaxed, bright and in no hurry and there wasn't just a bunch or two of people, the mosque was quite full. Normally, on Fridays you'd see people come in, perform their prayers and leave, all in a robot-like fashion, looking busy and serious. Like someone is waiting for them somewhere and they just had to do this duty and go back to their very busy and fast life. I was happy because usually, not many people are seen sitting in the mosque other than when they are praying and nobody has the time to spend there, in the serene environment, cut off from the busy outer world for a little while. It's sad but that's how life is in cities.

But today I saw the opposite, even if they(including me) were forced by the rain to stay there for more than they had planned earlier. I was there praying, with the cool wind coming in from the doors and with the slight hum that was a result of people talking in low voices. That and when I came out after the rain stopped had me transported to a different place and time. It was surreal and I loved it.

It's the park where I found place when I came late.

All this doesn't mean anything, but then should it? Also, I ended it abruptly and I suppose you'd pardon me for it, and also for if you were expecting something more from this post. I think it's more like a diary entry which I've made public. But I am glad you read it, thanks for reading. :)

Comments

  1. Don't we all love such beautiful moments? :) Very nicely captured. I think I could feel it, too! :D

    Also, while I was reading about how all the other people also stayed there a while longer than usual, chatting and lingering idly, I think they must be experiencing those same feelings as you! Maybe not everyone likes the busy city life. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, maybe you're right. I suppose we all somewhere deep within crave for such moments of tranquillity.
      Thanks for the thought. :)

      Delete
  2. These little moments when we begin to see, like the one you just wrote about, then is the time we start to experience the first ray of satisfaction in life. It is all about finding joy in such moments and expressing this beautifully. I'm kinda glad you wrote this. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with every word of your comment Rachit. I'm glad you're glad. Thanks a lot. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow.. Such a beautiful feeling! :)
    I love such small moments that feel really special. It's these small things that make life worth living. I really loved how you described the moment and I felt serene after reading it. Such a peaceful moment away from the rut of life! :)

    P.S: I'm sorry for not being around for so long. My nani passed away, I fell sick and then college took over. :|

    Hugs!!!

    Feels so good to be back. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry about your nani. May she be in peace wherever she is.

      And you don't have to say sorry for anything. Even I am not around for past few weeks. But good to you have you back, and glad that you liked it.

      Thanks for reading Abinaya. Love and hugs :)

      P.S: Hope you're fine :)

      Delete
    2. Yup getting back to normal now! :) Love the concern Usama! :)

      Delete
  4. nice post. the beach surely keeps the mind calm and makes you forget all adversity. it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment buddy. Though, I must say I didn't get the context of beach...

      Delete
  5. I too could almost feel it. Loved the way u told it with having nothing to say. i think its days like this..which stay with us in memories for no reason, & whenever we think about them, they leave us a simple smile and a feeling of peace in heart for no apparent reason.
    BTW this friday ritual is weekly or monthly?? ( M curios abt knowing diff cultures :P )

    (Please do away with word verification while commenting)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, days and moments like these make us appreciate the life we have, they are the ingredients of memories. Thanks for reading and writing Priya, your comment made me smile. :)
      Yes, the Friday afternoon prayer is weekly, it is significant on many levels. :)

      P.S: Actually I had put it because it also enables someone to re-read and edit his/her comment, but I'll look and see how this could be done without the captcha thing :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd be glad to hear from you. Type in this form. :)