A Begging Issue


Google
"I don't give money at the traffic lights. In fact, I have stopped giving anything to anyone these days," said a friend a few days ago with an expression that showed that he no longer believes in any of such small acts of charity. I didn't know what to say to that, so I kept quiet.

It might have been a momentary thing with him. Just an exaggeration maybe because he was a little off that day. But the thing is, there are people who don't give anything to any destitute just because they have some preconceived notions about the beggars. 

Their argument is that 'these people', as they call them, have made it a business and that all beggars at traffic intersections are part of a syndicate and hence should be discouraged. Well, it's not entirely untrue, but colouring everyone with the same red is not the way to go. Anyway, we'll talk about that in a short time. First let me tell you an incident which led me to write this post in the first place.

---

I was going to Connaught Place a few days ago for some work. It was late afternoon, maybe around 3 and the sun was bearing down with all it's ferocity. When I reached the Tolstoy Road intersection at the Kasturba Gandhi Road and my auto-rickshaw stopped, a troubled woman came from behind and addressed me saying, 'bhaiya, mere saath ek aurat pet se hai aur usko bacha hone wala hai. wo bohot dard mein hai aur hamare paas paise nahin hai hospital tak jaane ke. plees apne auto mein hame safdarjung hospital tak chhod do warna usse bacha yahin road pe ho jayega.'(I have a pregnant lady with me and she is about to deliver. She is in a lot of pain and we don't have any money to take her to a hospital. Please take us to the Safdarjung Hospital in your auto, otherwise she's so critical that she would have to deliver here, on the road.)

At first, I got confused trying to figure out what to say while I also furiously thought of hospitals in the vicinity. Then a lady slowly came around, moaning with pain. She was barefoot and her belly was totally bare. I couldn't help thinking why, in that heat and direct sun, she hasn't covered any part of her belly and that why was she barefoot on that steaming road. To say I was shocked to see her would be an understatement. I didn't know what to do to say. She just kept moaning there, standing, holding her bare belly.

The other woman, the one who addressed me earlier continued, 'bhaiya dekho iski haalat, plees hamein safdarjung hospital le chalo'(See her condition, please take us to the the Safdarjung Hospital). I said that Safdarjung Hospital is too far from here, and that there must be some other hospitals around, closer, thinking about Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital. But then, as I said that, she quickly changed the track without listening to me and said 'aap hamein paise de do agar aap ko pareshani hogi, hum doosra auto kar lenge Safdarjung jaane ke liye.'(You can give us money if it would be inconvenient for you, we'll take another auto to Safdarjung)

At this, since my brain works too much, I started wondering about her insistence on going to Safdarjung Hospital only, which was at least 9-10 kilometers from there. Then, even as I moved to take out my purse, I saw the auto driver shaking his head in the mirror, telling me not to give them money. So I stopped midway, contemplating whether I should listen to the driver or help the women. The woman must have seen the driver shaking his head and when she saw that I am taking too much time, she quickly moved to another auto. Not to the one beside mine, with two ladies in it, but to another auto, possibly with a male passenger.

Now, I am not trying to make easy assumptions to justify my case here. I didn't give her money, and now that I think of it, I regret my decision. But when we moved ahead from that traffic light, the auto-rickshaw driver told me that while the woman was asking me for money, she was tugging on his shirt, silently asking him not to interfere. He told me that they were of some particular jaati(caste) and that it was their dhanda(business) to get pregnant ladies of their community to ask for money from strangers this way.

I didn't care which community they belonged too then, my mind wandered of to questions like what the pregnant lady must have been going through, having to go from vehicle to vehicle, half naked in that summer bare-feet, just to earn some extra money. And how might that effect her baby. Was it all really worth it. But then I thought that maybe the poor don't have such privileges as to stay at home when they are pregnant and rest.
---

Coming back to the topic of people claiming that the so called beggars at the traffic lights and places frequented by tourists and other crowd in the city are all part of a well-organised racket and hence should not be appeased. I say yes, they may be organised and have made a profession out of it, but then does it make them less poor or less excluded or take away the obligation that they have towards their stomachs and their kids'. Yes, these kind of syndicates should be brought to a stop and the people running them be punished, while the destitute should be resettled. But isn't that the government's job, why are we laying out standards and parameters when it comes to helping those who we see are clearly in need of.

You can choose to not give money to any of the beggars you come across just because many of them are part of a cartel, but as Samar Halarnkar argued in his editorial in Hindustan Times a month ago, even if they are so syndicated, it takes a certain (amount of ) desperation to subject oneself to mutilation or indignity (of begging).

Even if it is her dhanda, it takes a certain amount of desperation for the pregnant lady to go around acting and imploring in the sweltering heat barefoot.

---

P.S: I am also one of those people who normally don't give to kids at the window on traffic intersections, but I regret not giving to that woman.

What would you have done, if you were in my situation?

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Aishwarya. It must be something, because you commented :D

      P.S: Welcome to the blog, officially. ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh God!!! Can't believe dis...dis is first tym i read ur post n most important thing is dis "I lyk it"...God Bless U (usmi) ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man. I'm real glad that you read and liked it. :D Keep coming back. :)

      Delete
  3. ^ Usmi? :P Haha! Thankyou mister, for this nickname :P

    I love love this post, mostly because I feel a lot for this topic and wanted to write on it too, but couldn't do it because I wasn't able to figure out how best to do justice. I don't know what I would have done in this situation. It's confusing. Yes, they might have been part of a "business" but I don't suppose they have a choice, or they would choose it if they could do something else. You think that woman would be on the roads in such a situation if she had a home?

    Many people like your friend, don't give money to beggars now. For that same reason. I ignore the kids on the traffic lights myself, but every now and then you can't help but shelve off some loose change and hand it over. It might be our guilt or pity, but when i think of it, and like you said, they're still poor and suffering and they didn't choose this life. So if a little money makes the tiniest difference to them, then why not? I wanted to write on this topic too, especially after what I saw a couple of days ago. A baby crying on the footpath, a man abusing him, the lady staring straight ahead, deadpanned. I'm very much sure they did not choose it. Also, remember to ask me about something I asked my dad, relating to this topic. His answer was interesting!

    Keep writing Usmi :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Ashna, even I wanted to write more on it, I actually had loads to write but since that would have required some amount of time and research, I postponed writing in detail.

      I don't have a set rule for giving or not giving, it depends on the mood and day. Normally I don't give to those who look able and healthy enough to work, either man or woman.

      You know, the incident you mentioned is one of the reasons why this whole situation looks so hopeless, where everybody should be held responsible for not doing their bit. The baby can't do anything because he has no-one to protect him, because responsible people don't do what they are supposed to.

      I can go on but this is not the right place to do it, so maybe I'll write another post someday.

      Thanks again.

      P.S: 'Usmi' is a nickname that Shalini gave me. He's probably referring to that. :P

      Delete
  4. Whoa! This post really set my brain working, but I still don't have the answer to what I would have done in the situation.
    Yes, I avoid people and kids if they come begging to me, but can't ignore the old or ailing ones. So, in my view giving in the situation is what I would have chosen, perhaps.

    P.S.: Quite a nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting Srishti. I suppose that's what should be done in situations like these. But then, difference in opinions does matter even then.
      At the end of the day, it depends on the person.

      P.S: Happy to see you again :)

      Delete
  5. This post is really aptly written. I have read about this issue some place else and I'm your presentation of this is really different and contemplative. :)

    Had I been in your place, I'd have offered that lady to come with me to a hospital. Right away. Now that's the logical solution with which I can come up with sitting at my home in comfort. In that state of mind, maybe I'd have denied too and then regretted to, but I am stuck with deciding what would be correct. I don't know.

    You are a great observer. I really like this about you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that is the right way to go about it. To act first and think later. But it has happened now and I think this would serve as a reminder if/when I come around something like this, the next time. :)

      Thanks Rachit, I always look forward to your comments. They show a perspective which is much treasured. :)

      Delete
  6. I don't know what to say. You have given words to what i feel every time a beggar knocks at my car window at a signal, and I try to clumsily ignore, failing almost every time.
    Lately I too have realized certain things, some of which you have mentioned in your post; that it required a certain amount of desperation to subject oneself to the indignity of begging; that they don't have an option but to make a profession out of begging.
    I am sometimes amazed at the insensitivity of people towards the destitute; at the irrational explanations and justifications.

    I'm so happy you wrote this. I really appreciate it.
    It is a beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I too am amazed at the insensitivity of the people. It's one thing not giving something to them and maybe feeling bad later on, and it's completely another to be totally insensitive and justify themselves with weird explanation and show of apathy.

      And if it wouldn't be too much saying, that article which I quoted above and that experience that day has changed me a good bit now :)

      Thanks a lot for this comment Saloni, I am glad you liked it :)
      I have been away from my blog for long, hence this late reply

      Delete
    2. It is these little instances that sometimes change us forever!


      and no problem :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd be glad to hear from you. Type in this form. :)